Cannibal - An Evening With Eddy Merckx:
Tonight, Bicycling is kicking off a series of events for its 50th Anniversary with cycling's greatest, the legendary Eddy Merckx. Bicycling will host a Q&A with the Cannibal - who rarely make U.S. appearances - where he will share stories about his iconic career, and share his thoughts on the current state and future of pro cycling. Merckx will be interviewed by former pro and cycling commentator John Eustice. In addition to the event, Bicycling's 50th Anniversary issue in November will feature a landmark, in-depth profile on Merckx, exploring his legendary career. The piece will also highlight the top moments in his career.
50th Anniversary Issue:
Bicycling's 50th Anniversary November issue is on sale on Oct. 4th. In addition to the Merckx profile, the issue will include several top-shelf features, including:
- A story on biking France's Loire Valley, by famed author Susan Orlean ("The Orchid Thief")
- Bicycling's first-ever Editor's Choice Hall of Fame selections, showcasing the most timeless an important gear of the last 50 years
- As told by long-time editor Bill Strickland, the unbelievable story of story of three kids who went from being child soldiers in Uganda, to having a future, thanks to biking
- An in-depth look at the evolution of cycling technology - and what to expect in the future
- And a compilation of celebrated authors and essayists, who illuminate how bikes and cycling intersect with life's most meaningful moments
Bicycling Fall Classic:
Bicycling is inviting readers to join with the editors for its October 2nd 'Fall Classic': a 50-mile ride celebrating 50 years, on the roads of Pennsylvania's Lehigh Valley - the same roads Bicycling readers have been reading about for years. The event will also include 10 and 25 mile distances, and will be followed by a Roubaix-style finale lap at the velodrome in Trexlertown, and a post-ride party, including food, beer and live music. Details here: http://www.bicycling.com/fallclassic
Mr. I. has lent us his photo archive, and we will be posting the pictures here. If you recognize the people in the photos, feel free to add captions.